Wednesday, May 29, 2013

John Irving, on truth and fiction / JI, sobre la verdad y la ficción


I’ve never been able to keep a diary, to write a memoir. I’ve tried; I begin by telling the truth, by remembering real people, relatives, and friends. The landscape detail is pretty good, but the people aren’t quite interesting enough—they don’t have quite enough to do with one another; of course, what unsettles me and bores me is the absence of plot. There’s no story to my life! And so I find a little something that I exaggerate, a little; gradually, I have an autobiography on its way to becoming a lie. The lie, of course, is more interesting. I become much more interested in the part of the story I’m making up, in the “relative” I never had. And then I begin to think of a novel; that’s the end of the diary. I promise I’ll start another one as soon as I finish the novel. Then the same thing happens; the lies become much more interesting—always.

Interview with Roy Hansen for The Paris Review. You can read the full interview here.

Nunca pude tener un diario, escribir mis memorias. Lo intenté: empiezo por decir la verdad, por recordar personas reales, parientes y amigos. El detalle del paisaje es bastante bueno, pero la gente no es lo suficientemente interesante: no tiene mucho que ver entre sí. Por supuesto, lo que me inquieta y aburre es la falta de trama. ¡Mi vida no tiene una historia! Entonces encuentro alguna cosita que exagerar, un poquito. De a poco voy teniendo una autobiografía camino de convertirse en una mentira. La mentira, claro, es más interesante. Me empiezo a interesar mucho más por la parte de la historia que estoy inventando: el "pariente" que nunca tuve.  Y entonces empiezo a pensar en una novela. Así se acaba el diario. Prometo que voy a empezar otro en cuanto termine la novela, y vuelve a pasar lo mismo: las mentiras se vuelven mucho más interesantes, siempre.

Entrevista de Roy Hansen en The Paris Review. Pueden leer la entrevista completa aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment