Monday, July 22, 2013

Robert Creeley on writing / RC, sobre la escritura


As a kid I used to be fascinated by people who, like they say, “traveled light.” My father died when I was very young, but there were things of his left in the house that my mother kept as evidences of his life: his bag, for example, his surgical instruments, even his prescription pads. These things were not only relics of his person, but what was interesting to me was that this instrumentation was peculiarly contained in this thing that he could carry in his hand. The doctor's “bag.” (...) The doctor's bag was an absolutely explicit instance of something you carry with you and work out of. As a kid, growing up without a father, I was always interested in men who came to the house with specific instrumentation of that sort—carpenters, repairmen—and I was fascinated by the idea that you could travel in the world that way with all that you needed in your hands . . . (...) All of this comes back to me when I find myself talking to people about writing. The scene is always this: “What a great thing! To be a writer! Words are something you can carry in your head. You can really 'travel light.'”

From an interview with Lewis MacAdams and Linda Wagner-Martin. You can read the full interview here.

Cuando era chico me fascinaba la gente que, como suele decirse, "viaja con poco equipaje". Mi padre murió cuando yo era muy pequeño, pero había cosas de él que quedaron en casa, que mi madre guardó como pruebas de su existencia: su maletín, por ejemplo, sus instrumentos quirúrgicos, incluso sus recetarios. Esas cosas no eran solo reliquias de su persona. Lo que resultaba interesante para mí era que esos instrumentos estaban singularmente contenidos en esa cosa que él llevaba en la mano (...) El maletín de médico era una instancia absolutamente explícita de algo que uno lleva consigo y con lo que trabaja. Cuando era chico, como crecí sin padre, siempre me interesaron los hombres que venían a casa con instrumentos específicos de ese tipo – carpinteros, técnicos – y me fascinaba la idea de que uno pudiera viajar por el mundo así, con todo lo que necesitaba al alcance de la mano... (...) Todo esto me viene a la mente cuando me encuentro hablando con gente sobre la escritura. La escena es siempre esta: "¡Qué genial! ¡Ser escritor! Las palabras son algo que uno lleva en la cabeza. Uno puede realmente 'viajar con poco equipaje'".

De una entrevista realizada por Lewis MacAdams y Linda Wagner-Martin. Pueden leer la entrevista completa en inglés aquí.

No comments:

Post a Comment