Saturday, March 15, 2014

Two poems by Susana Reyes, El Salvador (1971), my translation / Dos poemas de Susana Reyes


History of Mirrors

Keep Ithaca always in your mind.
Arriving there is what you are destined for.
But do not hurry the journey at all.
Constantin Cavafys


I
                                                                              For doña Martha Sutter de Selva


I waited for Ulysses every afternoon
alert, faithful, with my resolute birds.

I sat on the old doorstep
to pluck the horizon.

Softened by tears, the knitting
would come undone on its own
in a happy, uncertain routine

I don't know if he knew of abysses
of darkness or silence,
but my heart guided me
every night toward his steps.

I drowned with him
and a thousand times the wind swept me
in the desert.

I earned hunger and fever
the knot in my throat
to which he tied himself every night
to avoid jumping into the void.

And I walked with him
but never knew that his steps
fled my Ithaca,
that he burned his ships
at the first port,
that he hid in mirrors…

But he won't know of the dimensions,
that I walk with him
that I see him leave and return every night
in this mirror
I keep knitting.


II

The knitting fell slowly
and its mute, damp threads
broke.

There was inexplicable pain
A simple             insufficient forgiveness
a mirror portraying the sun that was my face
and the face of all those women
who nursed the days in vain.

From Historia de los espejos Concultura, 2004. You can find out about SR's work in Yvette Aparicio's Post-Conflict Central American Literature: Searching for Home and Longing to Belong.



Historia de los espejos
Ten siempre a Itaca en tu pensamiento.
Tu llegada ahí es tu destino
mas no apresures nunca el viaje
Constantin Cavafys
I
                                                                              Para doña Martha Sutter de Selva


Esperé a Ulises cada tarde
alerta, fiel, con mis aves resueltas.

Me senté en el viejo umbral
a deshojar el horizonte.

Los tejidos ablandados por las lágrimas
se desanudaban solos
en una rutina feliz e incierta

No sé si él supo de abismos,
de oscuridades o silencios,
pero el corazón me guió
cada noche hasta sus pasos.

Me ahogué con él
y mil veces me arrastró el viento
en los desiertos.

Gané el hambre y las fiebres
el nudo en la garganta
al que se ató cada noche
para no saltar al vacío.

Y caminé con él
mas nunca supe que sus pasos
huían de mi Itaca,
que quemó sus naves
en el primer puerto,
que se escondió en los espejos…

Pero él no sabrá de las dimensiones,
que camino con él
que lo veo irse y volver cada noche
en este espejo
que sigo tejiendo.


II

Cayó despacio el tejido
y sus hilos mudos y húmedos
se quebraron.

Hubo dolor inexplicable
Un perdón simple               insuficiente
un espejo retratando al sol que era mi cara
y la cara de todas aquellas
que en balde amamantaron los días.


De Historia de los espejos Concultura, 2004. Pueden encontrar más poemas de SR aquí.


No comments:

Post a Comment